Last night for FHE we had a lesson on service. We told the story of the Good Samaritan. We spoke about how Christ told us to love our neighbors as ourselves. I chose this topic because it's been an "every man for himself" type feeling around our house latley. After reading the story as Ellie held the picture (an honor she took quite seriously) we told the girls that not only can we serve our neighbors,we can also serve our family. I put each of our names in a bowl and we all chose someone to do "secret service" for during the week. The idea was to make sure the person didn't know who was serving them. The kids have been so cute with this! Today Casie went into her room and noticed someone had made her bed. And tonight I came upstairs to fold some laundry and found it all done! I love that the girls came up with acts of service on their own. It warms my heart to think of them pondering and planning things they can do for one another. I love that the little person who folded my laundry made little piles just like she's seen me do. I love that the child who made Casie's bed, topped it off with a cute little stuffed animal.
I think we may be on to something here. Maybe we will do "secret service" every week!
4 comments:
I struggle having home evening. My husband isn't that into the church, so I have a hard time getting to participate. My boys love it though-so could you come down and do FHE for us? I remember having it with your family because mine didn't either. I remember going behind your house by the creek roasting hot dogs and marshmallows. I also remember having family prayer with your family VERY often (like every night because I was always there). Remember hearing the piano and knowing it was time for prayer?
Jimi, you have all the same memories of growing up that I do! I'm glad you remember that good ol' prayer song!
We aren't perfect at holding family night either. I will keep posting what we do and you can copy our family for now! Then when you start getting into it, you can give me all your great ideas. I'll make sure to post some of our not-so-great nights too so you know that we all struggle. :-) Oh, and on "leap of Faith post" I failed to mention that Mike got the evil eye from me because he kept throwing the Dogs toy for him during our discussion. Good thing us wives are so determined to have some some "spiritual" time in the home.
That sounds like a great FHE..here is a little warning...dont do it everyweek. We did that same thing and I tried to prolong it but the newness wore off and it became more of a chore. We do things that are very similar but they fall under the guise of something else. Trick them into being good...thats what I always say! One of my New Years res is to hold better FHEs. THe trick it to plan before 5:30 on monday night. My kids love the plan of salvation (we have a poster of it with removable parts they put on). Also when they were a little bit younger we would play "Ding dong" with them after FHE if they were good the whole time. That way Christian always had motivation to listen and not wiggle. They loved it and now are nearly perfect angels at FHE. I love FHE cause it forces us to turn off the tv and talk to each other. Thanks for sharing your success. Love Mindy
Jill, you have to only do this once in awhile...because they will never want to have FHE when they are adults, like Craig...who claims every FHE was the same lesson about a kite. We still have not found out what the story was about.
Next time, try choc. doughnuts that are wheels and how a car with a flat tire can't go as fast, so we all have to work together. My kids loved that lesson.
Post a Comment