Monday, January 28, 2008

President Hinckley











I have had a lot of different feelings since I heard of the prophets passing last night. I mostly am happy for him and the release he has from this mortal life. I am so grateful that he is with his wife now and other family members and friends who went before him. I am grateful for the knowledge I have of what happens after death. I know he is happy and that the church will still go on.

Having said all that, I have to acknowledge the fact that I get teary every time I think about him. Each radio clip with his sweet voice makes me choke up and feel a real sense of loss. I will miss his council and fun sense of humor. I will miss seeing him in General Conference and feeling his spirit.











As I was listening to the radio this morning, the headline was, "Gordon B. Hinckley, dead at 97" The thought struck me that although this was very significant to many, it would mean little or nothing to others. Some may ask, "Who is that?" Or they may say, "wasn't he some religious leader?" At that moment, I felt so grateful for the knowledge that I have. I know that he was a prophet of God . I know that he spoke to God and received inspiration for the world. I am so grateful for the influence he had on me personally. I'm grateful for all the work he did to bring forth the gospel in these days. I'm grateful that even in death, he inspires me to be a better person.


My kids are off track right now, but I heard many children dressed in their Sunday clothes to go to school in honor of the Prophet. They are also going to dress in their best on the day of his funeral. That really touched me. I am going to have my kids wear dresses on the day of his funeral as well...even if we are just at home. I know they feel the loss as well. Ellie keeps asking me, "Why did Heavenly Father die?"



I have a picture of President Hinckley in my home with one of my favorite quotes on it. "Try a little harder, to be a little better." I love this quote because it shows the prophets understanding of mankind. He didn't say, "Be perfect and be perfect now!" He simply asked us all to keep trying a little at a time. I feel like that is something I can do. I feel like I can improve myself a little each day. I am going to leave his picture and that quote in my home. President Hinckley has been a leader in the church my whole life, and he will always be special to me and my family.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Your awesome! Thanks for your thoughts!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, we all feel the same. Its bitter sweet. It snowed the day after President Hinckleys death. At Kinelys school the talk on the playground was that the wold was sad just like it was when Jesus died. Thats why it was snowing, cause it never snows in St. George. Cute huh...albeit very misguided. I told her that is really was probably snowing cause President Hinckley died but it was because he was up there asking God in person to please end the drought!
Mindy

Mindy said...

Yeah, we all feel the same. Its bitter sweet. It snowed the day after President Hinckleys death. At Kinelys school the talk on the playground was that the world was sad just like it was sad when Jesus died. Thats why it was snowing, cause it never snows in St. George! Cute huh...albeit very misguided. I told her that it really was probably snowing because of Presiden Hinckleys death but it was because he was up there asking God in person to please end the drought!
Mindy

the first one I wrote did not make much sence. this is what i meant to say.