Tuesday, April 14, 2009

we interrupt this vacation.......

.....to bring you a huge sliver in Annie's nail bed!!!



This is a bad picture. (I used my phone because my camera is still riding the trains of London.) :-( Look closely, the sliver is all the way from the top of her nail and slants all the way to the bottom! Annie was helping Brother Hansen (our downstairs tenants/ live in grandpa) peel paint off a wooden fence. As she was coming down with the scraper, her hand slipped and a nice long splinter was shoved under her nail! OWIE!!! The sweet thing is that the first thing she wanted to do was to pray. She wanted to ask Heavenly Father to help the sliver come out easily. She wouldn't let me touch it so we headed to the instacare. Although the Doctor's visit was full of weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth, the sliver did come out easily. If it would have broken or was too deep they would have had to cut the nail off! After trying a few times with no medication...and lots of screaming.., We ended up numbing her finger..(on my request) and then she was able to let the doctor do what he needed to do. In case you wanted to know, it's really not fun to see adults holding your daughter down while she is screaming STOP! STOP! IT HURTS!!!!. Poor Annie. Once the sliver was out, she was SO hyper. You know the relief you feel when something stressful is resolved? I think she was on a bit of a high because of the tension relief. I am glad that she was brave and that we got that nasty sliver out! For some reason later that night, I found myself telling the kids that shoving wood under peoples nails is a method of torture. My intention was to validate Annie's belief that her sliver was very painful...but I think I just disturbed them.

***After reading this post to Annie, she reminded me that I forgot to mention one nice thing that she said...As we were walking into the Dr. office, Annie said, " I'm glad that Ellie and Casie didn't get a sliver in their finger nail" She told me that when people read this, they will say.."Oh, how sweet." (it really was sweet and sincere at the time)

13 comments:

Shelley said...

Ouch! Just looking at that picture makes me cringe. Once when I was in 6th grade, we were learning about the pyramids of Egypt and we were making marshmallow/toothpick pyramids. I accidentally got a huge chunk of a toothpick stuck in my thumb and was so scared to get it out, so I didn't. It eventually just grew over and I had a little lump where the piece of toothpick was for a long time. It eventually disappeared though...kind of creepy to think what your body can do! I'm glad she endured her torture and is ok!

Jillo said...

Seriously, OUCH!!! Poor girl. I am totally having sympathy nail pain over here.

Kamey Jean Hope said...

Oh My! I just was so sick to my stomach. That looked so painful! I don't know how you were so strong, I would been flipping out. Brave little Annie and Mom. Good Job!

Crystal said...

Wow, what a brave girl! That looks soooo painful! I'm glad everything went well with the removal.

Mom M. said...

DOUBLE OUCH ! The thing that touched me the most about this story is that Annie wanted to pray. She knows she has a loving Heavenly Father and that He will help her through the "tough" times. Thanks, Annie, for being such a brave girl and such a wonderful example to me and help me remember what's important in life. I love you. Grandma Madsen

Layne said...

Holy freaking cow. That is a big sliver.

You seem to be good at tackling difficult conversations--wanna come and give our FHE on the birds and bees?

Gary and Debbie Rex said...

Yikes...I feel dizzy just thinking about it...seriously, dizzy. A situation like that is when I call in Dad - pain is not my strong suit. BTW, I was told you might have some good recommendations for Book Club. I'm in need of a few suggestions...

Shauna said...

Oh, how sweet of her! Kenzee did the same thing in dance in one of her toenails, she was coming up and a big chunk of wood went into her toenail just like Annies finger. Her coach was a bit intense and so she didn't say anything to him. As soon as class was over and she saw me she burst out crying. Her coach felt horrible! Kenzee can really feel for Annie! OUCH!

Jenny said...

A few months ago Landon stepped on a toothpick and it broke off in his foot. So ouchie, too! We had to go to the Dr. also because I tried to get it out myself and he was hysterical. The Dr. gave it a shot and had to slice into his foot to get it out. He was fascinated by the procedure once the pain was gone. He said he was so glad he went to the Dr. There's no way I could have gotten it out! Thank goodness kids are resilient! That picture looks so yucky- I'd probably cry too!

Jenni said...

OUCH! I have been complaining of a little sliver in my finger that I have had three people try to pry out of me. Your post reminds me that no matter how bad you have it, it can always be worse! ;) Poor thing!

Shafferprincess said...

Oh, poor girl! That's no fun, but how awesome that she wanted to pray, and that she was thinking of her sisters! :)

Stacy Holmes said...

Ouch is right..but what left me wondering is..where is your camera?? You lost it? That is almost as painful as the sliver!
I am impressed you went to Instacare- I am so mean I would have told her to suck it up and let me pull it-even if all the neigbhors had to hold her down- just to save me the $35--hey, I actually have done that..I am mean mom..for future reference, soaking a sliver for a half hour in warm water loosens it, and distracts the kid long enough that you actually can get a hold of it.

Mindy said...

I read this last night late but almost called to talk with Annie about it because it looked almost life threatening and for sure life altering! When my kids were little and they would get slivers we would first shut all the windows so the neighbors could not hear the screams of terror and call the child services people. The problem with slivers is not just the physical aspect, it is the anguish of knowing you have to HOLD STILL while its removed and that it may even involve a needle! Christian may have developed clausterphobia from having to be held down while slivers are removed...he is a fighter thats for sure. She is very sweet to pray first and that is adorable that she said and then reminded you to post that she was glad it did not happen to Ellie and Casie. Did you keep the sliver? Maybe she should put it under her pillow one night to see what happens. But the funniest part ever is that you told them its a form of torture..ha ha I would have done the same to my kids (innocently) and gotten the same response.
Oh and I called to remind you to record idol so you could carry on the "idol party" tradition and Mike told me about play try outs. How was it? I told him that you will be the narrator and he will be Joseph so he told me I could have Jack during the play season (the girls will probably get parts too). I will be up to collect him soon.