Saturday, April 18, 2009

The London Temple


After going to Mass instead of watching General Conference, we decided to repent and attend the Temple. (hee hee). We took a train out of London on Monday morning to the city of Surrey. It was great to get out of the city and see some of the charming towns of London. Mike and I were like little puppies in a pet store window as we stared at the passing villages from the train. We were eager to see every little quaint, ivy covered neighborhood. England is such a beautiful country!
Once we arrived in Surrey, we took a cab to the Temple. The cab driver, though not LDS, was proud to point out the new Angel Moroni that had just been placed on the steeple just weeks before. I loved how the Temple exterior seemed to fit in with the old English country side. And as expected, the Temple grounds did not disappoint. They were breath taking! So peaceful and beautifully manicured. (My Mom came with us too, but she didn't make it into a picture)

Mike's Mom and Dave have traveled all over the US on an on-going "Temple Tour." I wish I could remember how many they have been to. I know it's an impressive number. (maybe she will comment and tell us all the number) While in England they visited two temples. One here and one in Preston. Pretty cool!

Once we entered the Temple, we noticed there was something missing. Where were the cute, little old ladies smiling at us and pointing the way? We wandered around until we stumbled onto the area to rent our temple clothes. Then we wandered some more to find the dressing rooms. It was funny. I never realized how much I depend on those dear sisters with their directing arms. :-)
The London Temple was built in the 1950's. Of course upon entering we felt that peaceful feeling that only the temple can bring. But I also noticed certain things that dated it a little bit. Just little things like faucets, light fixtures and the carpet. (do I sound like a Temple snob?...just cause I live by 2 brand spanking new temples...I notice the little things..) Anyway, I only mention that because of the contrast I noticed once I entered the Celestial room. It was BEAUTIFUL! I have never seen such a gorgeous room! The decor was buttercup yellow walls and furniture, with a sky blue ceiling and crystal chandeliers and sconces. There were also two HUGE window paned mirrors on the walls. It was breath taking! I wanted to stay there forever. What a calm and wonderful contrast between that room and the busy London streets we had wandered through. I am so glad we made the effort to attend.


Oh, and I mentioned that there were no little old ladies pointing the way, but I guess that was one less chance for Mike to get yelled at! hee hee hee

8 comments:

Shelley said...

Ok, so I changed my mind and decided that's where I need to get married! That's so cool you got to go! And the grounds are amazing. It's not just London missing the little white "angels", when I went to the Seattle temple, I needed to find a bathroom and there was NO ONE there to help me either. I don't think we realize how busy our temples here are...even on a slow day. I guess that's why we get so many helpers!

Matt & Andrea said...

Wow. The more I read about your trip, the more I want to go. Sounds amazing! Also, good luck on "Joseph"!

Jenni said...

What an awesome opportunity to go to the London temple! I had goose bumps as you were describing it...and was kind of secretly hoping a picture would be posted to confirm the picture in my mind...but I guess that is just part of the beauty of the sacredness of the temple. What a neat memory! Love the post!

Kyle and Jessica said...

How fun! How long did you stay for? One of my goals is to travel...eventually!

Mom M. said...

Jill asked me comment on my number of temples. Dave and I have visited 46 and done endowment sessions in 43 different temples in the past 4 years. Thanks Jill and Mike for inviting me to visit the land of our ancestors and walk where they walked..totally awesome experience...and added two more temples to my list. Love ya, Mom M.

Mindy said...

I put some picutres of your kids on my blog you might want to use on yours since you are cameraless.

Brett and Tiffany said...

How fun...it is always fun to visit temples in other places and to see what they look like! Your trip looked fabulous!

Bearden Family said...

Jill,
It was so fun to hear from you.. That is crazy we both ended up Beardens. You are just as darling as ever. I told my brothers you said hi and they say hi back....
Keep in touch.
Jera Taylor Bearden