Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Swapping spit with 500 people

Ok, now that there are no more slivers shoved in places slivers oughtn't be, (knock on wood...ha ha....I kill me!)...we can get back to vacationing...


Our fifth day in England was Palm Sunday. One of the places on our list to visit was Westminster Abby. We found out that the only way to see the Cathedral on Sunday was to attend the Sunday Services. We were really glad we did! It was amazing! The sound of the choir resonating off the high high ceilings of the church was incredible! I am assuming that not all Mass services are this exciting...you know, just like every Sacrament meeting can't be the Primary Program..but there sure were a LOT of people there. We started out in the main foyer where we were each given a cross made out of a palm leaf...(I told Mike I could just imagine the "Catholic Relief Society" feverishly making all the crosses for the service.) Then the choir started to sing and led us all in a song as we walked around the church to our seats. Then they proceeded to sing the story of the Atonement. It was so beautiful.
Oh, to top off our wonderful meeting, a little old English lady sitting in front of Mike turned around and yelled at him for having such long legs. Apparently his foot was in her space. After she turned back around, we all cracked up. We quoted her rant for the rest of the trip. If you want to try and say this sentence with an angry English accent, you might understand why we all laughed..."Excuse me!! What is that foot doing sticking out there!?" Oh and for a funny visual, she was a tiny lady with scarf tied around her head...ya, Mike was really scared.
After Mass we rode the train to see Windsor Castle. HOLY HUGE BATMAN!! It was SO cool....on the outside. By the time we got done with our lackadaisical dinner at the Royal Oak Pub, the Castle was closed to visitors. DOH! Oh well, it was still really fun to see the outside. We tried to do some shopping, but apparently EVERYTHING closes there at 5pm. We didn't really care though...we were in ENGLAND! Just walking around the town was really fun. We ended up buying Ellie a super cute little English Tea set at one of the stores there. It has purple and yellow flowers on it. It's very dainty. :-) She loved it, and has played with it every day since we've been home. She is taking really good care of it too. She washes out the cups and re-wraps everything in bubble wrap before putting it back in the box. Today she hosted a tea party for her friends Samantha and Lexi. They were served sugar water and Cocoa puffs.

Does anyone else find it cool to see this modern flying contraption soaring over this royal historic dwelling?
ok , just cause you gots on yer fancy hoop skirts and ruffles, it don't make you look like a princess if your hair is all shabby-like. Put some ringlets in your hair for crap sakes! (I'm not referring to you Dave. Your look is timeless.)


This is us wandering about after we found out that we couldn't go inside the castle. The guard nearest to the castle told me everything we COULD have seen if we had made it on time. He also laughed at me when I asked him if it was free admittance. Stupid Americans!

PS I would have posted some pictures of the tea set, but on the way home from Windsor Castle I must have left my camera on the train...bummer! All the pictures from here on out were taken with my Mother-in-laws camera. I guess Mike will just HAVE to buy me a new camera.. :-)

10 comments:

Crystal said...

Westminster Abbey was one of my favorite places in London. It would've been cool to be there during a mass.

Mindy said...

I love reading about all you did. Keep up the good posts.

Jillo said...

I have always wanted to go to something like that. It sounds really cool. These posts are so fun.

Linda Barton said...

I think the old lady could have taken Mike with her purse if she tried. Never underestimate an angry English lady who could beat the snot out of you with her purse! (plus, it's not like he'd fight back, right? I think they count on that...)

Love the pictures and stories!

Shelley said...

You made me laugh out loud...at least twice. The timeless comment was great. :)

Jenny said...

All your pictures look like you guys had an amazing time! Is Jack getting used to you again? I bet you missed him like crazy! What a great trip! I meant to comment about the pickles...sometimes I like to soak my clothes in pickle juice to make them harder to get clean. No wait, I like to run my pickles through the delicate cycle before eating them. No wait. We have a food storage closet in our laundry room. Yep, thats it!

Jenae said...

You posted a ton since I have checked blog so I had to read back through to catch myself up. Love it all! The pictures are amazing and I love that you were abe to go into Westminster Abbey for mass on Palm Sunday no less! Cool! Oh, and your new hat...way cute and totally "Frenchy" and I liked that your hair was in ringlets too! It made you look like a princess:)...or a super model...one of the two! I can't wait to hear about the rest.

Stacy Holmes said...

If you ever want another cool experience- go to the Cathedral of the Madeline downtown. I went there for a Mass on Palm Sunday..it isn't Westminster but it was pretty cool too..the palm leaves laying on the ground and waving palm leaves around is very interesting. I agree princesses need ringlets- that is why I don't wear ringlets- cuz I am the queen!

Matt & Andrea said...

Wow. Pretty jealous. Makes my trip to Walmart seem, well, insignificant. Thanks for sharing!

Jenni said...

Love your story! It almost sounds too good to be true! Looking forward to more...(I wanna take this trip!!!)