Tuesday, October 14, 2008

We changed our minds....

We decided not to cut little Jack. Why do something so painful if it isn't necessary? It's really just for cosmetic purposes. What are the opinions on this? Is there anyone out there who didn't circumcise their son? We can still change our minds, but for now he is still intact. :-)

12 comments:

Shafferprincess said...

The only downside I've heard is that he can become infected more easily if he's not circumcised than if he is. But, if you learn how to properly clean him and teach him how to do it, too, he should be just fine! He's such a cutie, and I'm glad you're feeling better!

Renee

Anonymous said...

Hi Jill,
Have you looked up the pros and cons of circumcision? There are a lot of good sites that explain in detail why people do or don't choose to do this. It might be helpful. I started writing a lot more, but thought I would just call instead!
Sarah

Heidi P said...

Yikes...That is hard. I think if you study up about it, pray about it, and then listen to the spirit, that is the way to go when you don't feel right about something. Way to go. It is hard to go agianst the norm.
Glad you are doing well. He is so sweet! :)

Jenny said...

You asked for opinions, so here's mine. I've always heard that its easier if a boy looks like his dad so that questions don't arise when he gets older and wonders why he is different from not only his father, but from other boys. Because once they start showering in gym and all that, I know they all talk about it. Just my own two cents.
I can't help but think of the Friends episode with Joey and the lunchmeat and the toothpick. If you don't know what I'm talking about, I'll fill you in later...it's hilarious.

Brittni Schroeder Photography said...

Having two boys I feel your pain. It broke my heart when my brand new baby boys had to have it done. I had to ask why myself? My husband insisted on it. He said they will get teased the rest of their lives! One of our boys was done in the hospital the other later in the dr office. They wouldn't allow us to watch and by the time they brought him to us he wasn't even crying. I know someone who didn't have it done as a baby and insisted on getting hid children done because he was teased so bad. Kids are cruel!

Good Luck!

Jillo said...

We did not circumcise any of our boys and they are all just fine. There is not a greater risk of infection and you don't have to do anything speacial as far as cleaning it. Mother nature will take care of things in her own time. When he gets to be a little older, everything will naturally do what it is supposed to do. You will have to teach him how to clean stuff, but don't you have to teach that to every kid?
And not circumcising is becoming more and more popular so there will be lots of other kids to back him up if he ever gets teased. I know quite a few families who haven't done it. It really is just for cosmetic and religious reasons. I think sometimes people get so worried about it because it is what eveyone else is doing, but it really isn't that big of a deal. At least I don't think so. And I agree, why put your kid through something so painful for no reason?
Hopefully I am not sounding like some crazy hippie girl. I get a little passionate about things sometimes. :)

Linda Barton said...

Hey Jill, my two cents, it's totally up to you. We thought it was important to match their dad. I watched Tyler's, it really took 2 seconds and it was no big deal. Of course, when boys are older, don't talk about their wee-wee and say no big deal in the same sentence they might feel bad. he-he I hope you're feeling better.

Marianne said...

Jill, that was a hard one for us to. I was seriously still on the fence about that decision even after our only boy was born. It's whatever the spirit tells you to do. And of course, no matter what you do as a mom, it will be "all your fault" for many years, until your kids have kids. Then you will morph into be the wisest person they have ever known.

Emily West said...

I don't really know that much about it but I know Travis is totally against circumcising boys! He talked his sister into not circumcising her son and he's just fine!

Steve and McKenzie said...

Hey Jill, it really is a personal decision, but for us Steve knows a family of boys that weren't circumsized. They were all teased all growing up and the oldest got an infection and had to be circumsized as an adult and it was a hard recovery. We have to get Hestons done in a month and believe us we are scared to death but we know that is the right decision for us But know that we respect any decision that you make. GOOD LUCK!

Rekehl Johnson said...

Oh Jill, I feel your pain. I have three boys and everytime I have wondered the same thing. Ours was always done in the hospital the next day after they were born so it was done and over with. I think if I had to go home and think about it and then drive myself to the dr. it would be harder. For us, we decided like daddy, like son and we haven't regretted it for a minute. But if you decide now is the time. I wouldn't wait, the longer the wait the harder and it will be for you and him. And remember, everyone has an opinion, but yours is the only one that counts.

Rekehl

Rachel said...

Jill, I have actually been talking about this with the Midwife I work with, I think if I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have done it, I feel sad that I put my boys through that pain, but what's done is done. I would totally go with your gut, if you don't feel right about it then don't do it and pay no attention to what others say, it's yours & Mikes decision, no one elses.
I spoke with a lady that worked in a retirement home and she said there was no difference in the number of infections with uncircumised male patients & circumcised.
Wow, sorry, went a little crazy there LOL, anyhoo just my 2 cents.
BTW he is SOOOOOOO cute!!!!