Monday, September 8, 2008

Ellie and Birth order

In Ellie's world......
All the kids in her Kindergarten class will notice that when she gets her bangs cut..."They are going to just DIE when they see me!"

Holding up the birdie finger is ok as long as it's accompanied by, " Mom, what does this mean?"...(no matter how many times I tell her that it means..." I REALLY don't like you")

Pink high hills go with every out fit

Sugar is one of the four food groups

She is exempt from Mom and Dad's instructions. ( We couldn't possibly mean that SHE needed to get her jammies on and brush her teeth!)

There is no one quite as cute as her...Ok that might be a fact in Mom's world too. :-)


I've been doing a lot of thinking about birth order lately. I compare my kids to my siblings and find the similarities interesting. Since this post is about Ellie, I will compare her to my sister Mindy...who is also a third child. Family...if you don't agree that the two are quite similar, just let me know.



Ellie is very into fashion and accessorising.



Ellie LOVES babies and little kids. She is drawn to them and wants to hold and be around them whenever possible.



Ellie is a natural and shameless "flirt". I just went on a field trip with her class and witnessed this first hand! (Mindy, I know you aren't like that any more....but I have a few memories....:-)



Ellie has a consuming desire to be ON TIME for things. I have never seen a five year old so concerned about missing the bus. She doesn't board until after lunch, but she starts to worry about it around 9:00. It's pretty funny. There is nothing I can do to ease her mind. I guess when your five, THREE HOURS means the same as three minutes. :-)

Ellie also has an irresistible urge to slightly tease.....dare I say torment those who are easily tormented. Not in a vicious or hateful sort of way, but a "just to get a reaction" sort of way. Now Mindy, we both know the stories of our youth. You were the tormentor and I was your prey. For those of you out there who don't know our stories, let me share a few instances:

#1 Mindy is in the bath. She frantically calls me in and says, "Jill, you have to go get Mom...I am going down the drain!" I run to Mom crying and visualizing loosing Mindy to the unknown underworld of the plumbing. I am shocked when I find that Mom doesn't share in my panic.

#2 Mindy is taking me on a bike ride. I am the passenger and have no control as to where we are heading. Mindy tells me that she is taking me to a garbage can to see a dead cat. There was no dead cat in the garbage can, but I didn't know that...I don't think I ever looked.

#3 After getting in trouble with Mom and Dad, Mindy informs me that she is going to run away. She told me that if I didn't come with her, she was going to go alone. I was only in Kindergarten, but I knew I couldn't let her face the dreary world by herself. She made me pack a bag and told me we would leave after school. I remember being in MISERY the whole day. I hoped that when she got home she would change her mind. She didn't. Off we went...to the grocery store. We bought some twinkies and then she told me she was ready to go back home. As the story goes, we both remember arriving home..(no one knew we had run away) and Grandma Hintze was visiting. She had brought all the girls Ms. Pac Man pillows and home made underwear.

I only share these stories because...well,... they are funny and should be preserved, and I can totally see Ellie doing these things to her younger siblings in the future.

I need to do some more comparing and analyzing with the other kids to see if they follow in with the birth order of my other siblings...but I do have to say that Ellie and Mindy seem to be peas in a pod. Maybe that's why they love each other so much!

I can also hope that Ellie will eventually develop some of the wonderful things that Mindy is today. Mindy is so thoughtful, caring, generous, fun, patient, spiritual and devoted to family. I hope Ellie will continue to follow in her footsteps. :-)

11 comments:

Kyle M Case said...

Jill, I can speak on authority that none of the characteristics that you spoke of have really changed at all. Mindy still does all those things:

Eveyone knows that Mindy LOVES babies. No change.

Shameless flirt: Mindy, since I know you'll read this as well, I have two words for you: Lance Jackson.

Mindy still HATES to be late and is frustrated that eveyone doesn't share the same loathing.

She still teases the heck out of kids, like the time she yelled "BOO" to a random fifth grader who happened to be walking by her car when she was sitting in it at one of Christian's baseball games, scaring the poor boy to death. She still laughs almost uncontrollably when she thinks about that one.

But while all that is still true... she is also all the other things you mentioned; caring, generous, fun, patient, spiritual and devoted to family...

And that's why we love her.

Oh, and we love Ellie too.

Jill, why don't you guys come down and visit us sometime. We miss you.

Anna B. said...

What a fun post! Sweet words for your daughter and your sister! I am afraid no good would come of my own analysis of this :-) (of course, meaning for MY own family)

Mom M. said...

Jill...let's have a post on Casie and Annie...if they don't fit into the birth order thing, they still are beautiful, thoughtful, "funny" girls....Love them all !

Shelley said...

I definitely think there is something to the while birth order thing! I am the oldest and Carson is JUST like me...but I worry about Parker. The second child is usually the "rebel" and in my family that's true too...

Mindy said...

Jill,
I was smiling and laughing all during this post. And to be compaired to Ellie is such flattery! I am sure I was not half as adorable as she is when I was five.
Now just for the record, Kyle mentioned a fellow named Lance Jackson and flirting. Lance Jackson was my comm graphics teacher at SUU. He is about 60 and very "computerish". He was great but spoke in monotone and I think he was even a bishop. Kyle was there in class at the lab with me one day when I had a question for the teacher. He says that I "flirted" the answer out of the teacher, which I adamitley deny!
Anyway, thanks for such a nice post, and thanks for running away with me. If you notice that you yourself understand that sugar is part of my food group, then you know I was really just planning on buying twinkes all along and needed a good excuse. The cat thing I can not defend myself on...thats just gross and sorry about that.
Cant wait to get that call in the middle of the night telling us that Jack is born!

Jill said...

Dear Mom Madsen...I do need to post on the other girls. It will make you happy to know both posts are already underway...one will feature Annie and her art work, and Casie's will be about what a good responsible helper she is....Don't worry, I love all my girls!

Heidi P said...

Ha that is such a cute post. So funny that some girls are so into girl stuff when they are born. I love the pic of Ellie and Mindy. 2 beautiful girls! :)

Anonymous said...

lol!! What a fun way to admire your family!

luv
Aunt Melissa

Emily West said...

Okay Jill, in order to not make any of your siblings feel left out, you're going to have to have 10 kids so you can compare one of them to each of us! I wonder if the birth order book says anything about 9th and 10th children! :) I'm sure it says something about youngest children at least!
And Mindy, Lance Jackson? Seriously we had way cuter Comm teachers than him!!! :)

Keri Kemp said...

hahaha cute!

Jimi said...

Hey Mike B, oh wait, I mean Jill B! Ellie sounds like a really fun kid, plus she is so dang cute! BTW you were really close to guessing the date of my birth, but we don't celebrate it anymore, so there is no sense in discussing it! :)