Thursday, February 28, 2008

Put on your red shoes and DANCE!

I went to a Stake Enrichment night a couple of nights ago. (I have to add that first I spelled that "steak enrichment" and I laughed at the thought of a night dedicated to enhancing your steak)..anyway...After listening to an amazing speaker..(I wish I could remember her name, one of my blog readers will I'm sure) we were able to choose two workshops to attend. I chose "Simple FHE ides" and "The power of Music." I enjoyed both of them so much. One of the counselors in the Stake Presidency taught the music workshop. He did a wonderful job. He showed us how music can bring you,in an instant, to another time and place. His example was playing 5 bars from the sound track of Top Gun. He then asked us where we were. One lady raised her hand and said she was on a fast motorcycle with Tom Cruise. He concluded that example by stating, " Isn't that scary sisters? Only 5 bars and she instantly had her arms around Tom Cruise." It was funny, but also interesting. He told of a study on music and houseplants. Two identical plants were placed in two rooms. Both rooms had the same temperature, light and space, but one room was playing classical music, and the other "blow your ears out" rock music. In the end, the plant "listening" classical music flourished and bloomed. The other whithered up and died. I came home determined to play music that would help my family "flourish". I downloaded some classical music from itunes. As soon as I started to play it, my girls (and their friend) put on dresses and started to dance. They seriously danced for an hour. It was amazing! I love that they felt like they needed to wear their best dresses while dancing to this "special" music. I hope that their love for classical music will grow and create good memories for them. I hope that in the future when they listen to Mozart, or Bach, they will "instantly" be four and seven years old, wearing their Sunday dresses, dancing in their Mom's living room.

4 comments:

Mindy said...

So, I have been debating weather or not I should get an Ipod. Isn't that what you downloaded the songs to? I'll admit I have never downloaded songs and dont even know where to look for them. How much do they cost? Do you use your ipod a lot? I have tons of stereos and cd players...is it worth it to get one?

Jill said...

I actually don't have an ipod. I download songs from itunes and then burn them to disc. It's usally .99 a song. If you buy an album it's usally cheaper.

Emily West said...

What a sweet story! I'm so glad you thought to take pictures too! It brought everything to life! I love reading your blogs. What a sweet memory to have.

Anonymous said...

Don't you remember how I played classic music for you little ones while you ate breakfast- with a prize for whomever could name the piece. I can't remember which of you said, "That's the smurfberrry chrunch song!" when it was really a piece from The Nutcracker that they used on their commerical.
Mom