Thursday, December 18, 2008

Innocence of youth

What is it about watching your second grader sing her heart out in her Christmas performance that brings a tear to your eye? Is it the Christmas songs themselves that let nostalgia flood my memory? Is it the proud stolen glance she gives me even when she knows she is suppose to be watching the conductor? Is it knowing that she worked and worked on these songs and finally has the chance to show them off to the world? I think all of these things played a part in my enjoyment of Annie's second grade program tonight. As I watched her proudly belt out Silver Bells and I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas, I couldn't help but realize how fleeting childhood is. How I will treasure these innocent performances and the pure joy I have watching her. I loved that she was unashamed of the fact that sh was out singing the entire second grade. (seriously, that girl has some pipes) I loved how she completely enunciated "I wanT a hippo-poT- a-mous for Christmas" and "Here comes San-Ta Clause". Too, too cute! I wish I could keep them young just a little longer. In a few short years she might feel too "cool" for such displays. I will just enjoy it while I can.

(not to put a damper on my sweet memory of Annie's program...but I couldn't get the DARN video to upload...)

4 comments:

Linda Barton said...

That is such a sweet age! I miss those days when the kids are excited for the Christmas program and they sing so loud, they don't care who is watching...good times...=)

Shelley said...

One of my favorite memories of being a teacher was teaching my class songs to sing for our performances. They are SO excited and so carefree at that age. We used to sing "I Want A Hippopotamus for Christmas" too! :)

Marianne said...

We loved the program too. (We also could hear Annie too!) Don't worry, she was awesome. I love how enthusiastically they sang every song. They were excited to be there!

CrazyCow said...

Was Annie's performance anywhere akin to the awesome essay we were priveledged to listen to from the one and only Dalton C.? JK-your kids are so darn cute and I always enjoy watching them sing (eventhough it's only in church). Hold on to that feeling of joy, it's priceless and fleeting. Tomorrow your cute 2nd grader will be the "R" in the 5th grade D.A.R.E. program. Casie totally pulled it off. Maybe Annie will follow in her footsteps?