Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Are we dorks?...Don't answer that!

Well, I know that I am not a direct dork, (not smart enough) but I support my husbands dorky behavior and thoughts by punching things into the calculator.

Our past Dorkyisms:
We estimated how long it would take to count to a million. We included potty breaks, eating, and sleeping. I can't remember how long it was though...shoot..now we are going to have to do it again!

Mike always gives me story problems when we are traveling. He makes me figure out things like..." If we are traveling at 75 miles an hour and we need to travel 50 miles, how long will it take us to get there?" Now I know you dorky dorks out there are saying "well...duh..the answer is clearly...blah blahdidy blah blah..." But for me, I need some major fasting and praying to come up with the answer. Mike is determined to help me be better at math, but I think it's bordering on spousal abuse. :-)

Our Currant Dorkyism:
We calculated ( "we" meaning Mike told me what to punch into the calculator) how many unique licence plates the State of Utah could come up with. (using the standard three letters and three numbers combination...none of this RULDS2 business.) It was a simple equation, but for a no-brain like me, I couldn't even come up with HOW to figure it out...let alone actually figure it out! It got me curious and made me want to do my first BLOG GIVE AWAY!! I will send a special "dorky" prize to the first person who comments with the correct answer! May your brain work swiftly and not catch on fire. lol

19 comments:

Jenae said...

All right, here goes...
17,576,000.:)

Jenae said...

Not that I want to be considered a DORK, but I sure love free stuff, dorky or not!:D he he! + I loved my statistics class.

Shelley said...

Oh crap...she beat me by an hour.

The total number of possible license plates is 26*26*26*10*10*10 = 17,576,000

Do I get extra credit for showing my work? (Yes, I am a suck-up). :)

Linda Barton said...

Oh shoot, I knew the answer first....not! One fav dorkyness of ours slash Brent;
On long road trips we estimate how many miles to the top of the next hill. Our game ended abruptly one day, when I one, and Brent said "dang, it wasn't as long as I thought it was....." I busted up (with my PG-13 mind) laughing and we haven't played since.

Linda Barton said...

The Linda rule is; feel free to delete my PG-13 comments if you desire...and if I offend, tell me and I'll apologize.

Layne said...

Math is not dorky, Jill. Whatever gave you that idea?

Jenni said...

Punch what into my calculator, times this, add 20, divide by what, who??? I'm just glad there are math guru's out there to figure this stuff out for us. I'm going to go have a Diet Coke and decide what to make for dinner after that one...;)

Mindy said...

Can I just look on here and cheat? I know there is a logical explanation for these things but isnt that why we have the internet? I'm just glad I can balance a check book and calculate what 70% off is of clearance items (it's just tithing 7 times).

Jill said...

Jenae, you are officially the president of the Math team. You will recieve your "special" prize shortly!

Shelley, you get a gold star for showing your work! (although we just did 36 to the sixth power...but same result)...(tee hee hee..did I sound smart or what!!!)

Linda, you will get your name on the board and two check marks for your naughty behavior...oh, and three giggles from the teacher. "That's what she said"

Layne, you are officially nominated as Student Body President. You are a friend to all!

Mindy, you may shop for and design the Math teams uniforms. :-)

Jenni, you may join me in the Lunch room while we sip Diet Cokes and talk about things that REALLY matter. :-)

Jaz said...

Here's a new game that Mike can torture you with: On long drives Tyson drives and I navigate. Since we usually print off maps from map quest, and it gives you the miles, I always use our speed to estimate the time to the next turn or exit. IE: You've got 4 hours on this freeway or look for an exit in 8 minutes. Math dorks unite!

Jaz said...

oh, and will you add my blog (malstrommayhem) to your reading list :)

Shafferprincess said...

I'm like you, Jill. Brandon's the math brains (with Scott & B following closely behind), and I just sit there and punch things in as they tell me. I hate math. :)

Jenae said...

Okay, here is my work: (26*10)^3

CrazyCow said...

How did Jenae and Shelly figure this out? I can't even figure out how many years I've been married or the 9 times tables. My kids surpass me in math knowledge by the fourth grade. I have no idea what an obtuse angle is. Either I missed something in school, or brains have evolved a great deal.

Rekehl Johnson said...

Tanner, my 15 yr old teenager, said "Are you sure your dorks?" He said there is a difference between GEEKS, NERDS, and DORKS and you shouldn't get them mixed up because you could offend someone. He would know because he says he's a GEEK and takes quite an exception if anyone calls him a Nerd or a Dork. Teenagers... Love my Geeky son.

- Rekehl

Jill said...

You know I did wonder I was using the correct name when I posted this. I am thinking maybe we might be Geeks...ask your son what he thinks...wait, I actually think we might be nerds. Is it possible to be all three?

Jaz said...

It's totally dorky and perhaps a little geeky. I too had specific definitions as a teenager. I'm definitely a nerd and Ty is a dork...so we can't decide if our kids are norks or derds.

Jaz said...

It's all in the reaction. If you shake your head and chuckle-dork. If you ask them to do your homework-nerd. If you call them to fix your computer or solve your rubix cube-geek. (there's also dweeb, but we'll leave them outta this)

Matt & Andrea said...

This makes me laugh! Matt and I are the opposite. I'm the math nerd, and he just stares at me when I pull something like this out of the air. Someone has to do the math, right? I'll do the math, and Matt can tell the jokes.