Friday, May 8, 2009

The Red Tent

Ok, why have I heard SO many good things about this book? And why on earth did no one tell me about all the bad? Call me uncultured and sheltered, but I don't think it's necessary for my salvation OR social status to read about some authors fictitious renditions of sexuality (in ALL its forms) in Bible times. After one chapter and $18 to itunes, I have deleted it from my library. Anyone have a book recommendation that doesn't involve paraphilia in any form?

10 comments:

Heather said...

I'm reading two excellent books right now.... The 5000 year leap, all about how the Constitution was set up- it's a great read, very interesting! Also, Aspire! by an author here in our ward. His name is Kevin Hall. It's very motivational and delves into the meaning of words and how to use them for self improvement!

kbrown726 said...

A long time ago I read "Letters for Emily." It would be a great one to read with your girls. No sad endings like in "Where the Red Fern Grows." Unless I am totally forgetting something. I think I will read it again this summer.

Shelley said...

I must be really out of the loop...I haven't even heard of it. Call me lame, but I love reading the Newbery award winner books. They are "children's" books, but they are usually safe and good reads. :)

Shelley said...

I was just reading another friend's blog and she highly recommended this book! (She said it was a great love story).

http://www.amazon.com/Vienna-Prelude-Zion-Covenant-Book/dp/1414301073

highdeekay said...

Magnificent Obsession. I know, it sounds like it might be the kind of book you just deleted but it isn't. It is an awesome book about doing good and helping others and overcoming past mistakes. I think it was written in the 50s...

I've never heard of The Red Tent. Now if I do, I can know to avoid it!

Joy said...

There's also a good list of books in the Harvard Classics. Most of these are probably safe:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvard_Classics

I personally prefer the Harvard Shelf of fiction. And some of the medical and other scientific texts may be a bit out of date.

Have fun reading!

Stacy Holmes said...

I was told to read that one too..but I didn't ever get around to it..have you read "These Is My Words" by Nancy Turner yet? I really enjoyed it..it is about life in the pioneer days in Arizona..so life was pretty rough for a single woman..but I thought it was very interesting..and based on a true woman. The next book in the series is called "Sarah's Quilt" and "The Star Garden."

Sherron said...

Are you looking for a book for you or your kids? We have been reading from a series called "Great Illustrated Classics" They are all of the good classics like King Arthur, Heidi, Anne of Green Gables, Mark Twain, etc but in a condensed version for kids. These edited versions stay true to the full version. Every other page has an illustration, and it has made for great bed time reading as a family. Now that Mark and Paul can read, they enjoy reading the books by themselves.
I bought these books at Costco.com years ago, but I have seen them in Barnes and Noble and in Michaels crafts of all places! You are more than welcome to borrow ours, I think that we have about 30 books from this series!

lissa said...

I'm with Shelley - Newbery winners are usually safe AND good. Just go through Casie's book orders, their usually a good variety. You're welcome to check out my library of books - or my Shelfari on my blog...all are pretty safe and good.

Unknown said...

I would have to agree about the Newberry books. A fun one we read was The Princess Academy. If you haven't read it with your kids yet they would enjoy it too. The author, Shannon Hale has another series I like, too, The Goose Girl (a retelling of a fairytale), Enna Burning (Book 2) and River Secrets (Book 3). I loved all of these but didn't like her adult novel, Austenland. I definitely don't recommend reading that one.

You might also try some of the old classics. I just read A Tale of Two Cities and really enjoyed it.
~Stephanie