Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Basement Grandma


I don' t know if everyone knows this, but we have an Elderly couple that rents our basement apartment from us. They were actually the parents of the people we bought our house from. When their kids decided to move, they were stressed about finding another place to live. Mike and I offered to let them stay and they accepted. We feel so lucky to have them living here. Donna treats my children like her grandchildren. She is so loving and kind and generous. Her husband is an amazing man as well. He's 81 and still works full-time! He also loves gardening, and has taken our HUGE garden and made it beautiful! Yesterday I had a doctors appointment. Because I wouldn't be home on time, Donna offered to pick Ellie up from pre-school. When I did get home, I came down to find this sweet sight. Donna was teaching Ellie how to make bread. She gave Ellie three mini pans and told her to make one for each sister. As you can imagine, about 2 hours after I took this picture, our house smelled like HEAVEN! Donna gave us the three mini loaves, and another huge loaf for Me and Mike. She is so wonderful!

14 comments:

Layne said...

I want a basement Grandma!

Shelley said...

Tell Donna she is welcome in my basement anytime! :)

Jill said...

Layne...you inspired me to change the title of my entry...:-)

Anonymous said...

hey thats way cool i want a basment grandma too!! that sounds way fun i love freshly made bread!

Betty Grace said...

I want a basement grandma. I love the memory of Grandma Hintze's homemade bread, and how we'd all gather at their house before football games for grandma's bread and chili.

Jimi said...

That is so awesome! I love grandma's. Your girls are very lucky. (so are you)

highdeekay said...

So how do you find a house with a grandma thrown into the Mortgage? That is fabulous!

Jenny said...

The only thing that beats the smell of fresh baked bread is knowing that love and learning went in to making it! How special!

Mindy said...

That is a very sweet memory for you guys. They are really nice.

Anonymous said...

How sweet!

I had an atic uncle once. It wasn't nearly as fun....and didn't smell like fresh baked bread.

Kisses,
J.

Rachel said...

that is soo sweet, does she rent her self out?

Heidi P said...

Aww...how nice. Just reading that I could smell bread, my mouth was watering, and I missed my dad-- He makes bread you know..& yummy cinnamon rolls!

Claudia Teeples said...

That should be me!

Palomita said...

Hey, Jill! Congrats on your boy! I'm so excited for you guys to have a baby - we have loved having ours! Something about waiting 5 years for her makes it extra fun and special, and the older girls are sure great help.

I'm really jealous of your basement Grandparents. None would even want to live in our basement, now, since it's unfinished!