
We had a wonderful Memorial Day! We began the day with a delicious breakfast at Grandma Madsen's house. She made us Elephant ears...(scones), bacon, and fruit. After eating, and after raiding grandma's umbrella closet, we headed off to the cemetery. Considering that for the past 6 years, we have been BLAZING hot while visiting graves, this spring rain storm was a welcome guest. I have always loved rainy days. The rain seemed to make our visit to the cemetery more meaningful for some reason. More peaceful.
My family brought some homemade floral arrangements to decorate the graves. We had picked some spring flowers that were blooming in our yard and put them in mason jars with a bow tied around. We had so much fun making them. I believe a new family tradition has begun! Adding our arrangements to the flowers Grandma brought, made the Condie graves the most beautiful by far! :-)

I enjoy visiting cemeteries. They are so peaceful and full of history. Before arriving, I spoke to my girls about the proper behavior one should have when visiting such a special place. I told them that people come to cemeteries to think about those they love who have passed away. Casie explained to the group that, "Running, screaming, children might spoil the moment."
We also had the chance to show the kids where one of their Pioneer ancestors was buried. Mike's mom has been a wonderful example in honoring our
Pioneer heritage. She spends hours searching for and locating the headstones of relatives that have past. It was fun to talk to the girls about one of their ancestors that crossed the plains. Then to show them the headstone with her name on it made it even more special. I loved seeing the wonder in their eyes and feeling the spirit of genealogy as I watched them contemplate their very own amazing Pioneer Grandma.
From the cemetery, we took the kids and my two nieces to Cold Stone for ice cream....no, there is no pun intended...it was just the first ice cream place we came upon! We sat and ate our treat while watching a HUGE down pour that was occurring outside. It was awesome!
After a few naps, we went to Rich and Melissa's house for a yummy Dutch oven dinner. It was intended for the park, but happened in the house instead..(the cooking was done in the garage.) We had a great day and we all look forward to the next holiday! :-)
5 comments:
that was a way fun day!! :) thanks
I like your "Photoshopped" picture...that turned out really nice. I don't think I know of any graves to even visit. Is that bad? Maybe it's a good thing...
So glad to read that you had such a great holiday. I love the rain too, there's just something about it eh?
I just came across your hair clip website and saw the Goodmorning Utah segment. How COOL. That's awesome. I think I'll order some clips for my neices.
I'm wishing I had my American Idol clip to share. You'd giggle for sure. I wonder if I can find it.........
Hugs n' kisses,
J.
I love memorial day. I love family history. I took Hayden to the Oak City cemetery last year and had a great time walking around telling him about different family members. I think it's important for them to know about their ancestors.
yah!! that was a sweet day!! thank you for haveing us!!
Post a Comment