
As I was putting Jack to bed tonight,I sang him an old childhood song. (I think I learned it in 3rd grade...ya, my memory is awesome) Anyway, it was to the tune of the folk song called On Top of Ol' Smokey. But instead, in true third grade fashion, the words were changed to; On Top of Spaghetti. The song follows the adventures of a meatball that was flung off the top of the narrator's plate after "somebody" sneezed...(or is it snuzzed?) Well, after that, things go from bad to worse for our little meatball. First he rolls off the table, then onto the floor...and then that poor meatball, rolls out of the door! His journey then takes him into the garden, and under a bush..and then...then...(this is the sad part)..then the poor meatball is nothing but mush!
Ok, so far a pretty sad tale for our small round meaty friend, wouldn't you say? But do not fear, our story is about to take a turn for the better. That tasty meatball mush eventually turns into a beautiful tree. That tree was all covered with beautiful moss. It grows lovely meatballs and tomato sauce! Incredible right?... Right? I thought so too. Then comes the confusing part. The song ends with these words of supposed wisdom:
So if you ever have spaghetti, all covered with cheese. Hold on to your meatballs, and don't ever sneeze.
Ok, so why? Why on earth would you NOT want a meatball bearing tree growing in your garden? I mean seriously. Given, it might get a bit messy, but still wouldn't it be amazing? I picture them blooming into raw meatballs at first, then toward the end of summer they turn nice and brown...(harvest time!) I really doubt the birds would pick at them. And most dogs can't even jump that high. You would have to worry about the cats, but just erect a "scare dog" at the base of the tree and I think you'd be covered. If you wouldn't do it for the meatballs alone, think about the tomato sauce! No more cooking, peeling and squishing tomatoes. Just head on into the garden, grab your spile and Mason jars and viola! Just think of the possibilities. Plus, who has a meatball and tomato sauce tree? No one..that's who.
It's times like these I am grateful to see the individual growth and understanding that I have developed since the third grade. It's nice to see that my thoughts are more rational and that I don't just accept the world..(or folk songs) at face value. I delve. And that feels good. I would like to end this post with my own personal words of wisdom....
Sneeze on my friends...sneeze on.
6 comments:
Um, did you sneak some of Mike's pain medication? ;)
lol Shelley. I almost wrote that at the end of my post. Mostly I think I just need a bit more sleep. :-)
I guess when considering whether or not to sneeze one would have to decide if they were more interested in instant gratification that would come from eating the delicious meatball at that moment or if they could exercise the patience necessary to wait all winter and spring for the harvest of the meaty delight.
Would it be a case of short term sacrifice for long term gain or simply eating to sustain life.
Jill, this is very thought provoking, thank you, my friend, without your post I may never have given this very important topic a second thought.....thank you. (lol)
poor Mike. POOR JILL being patient with poor Mike. Hang in there!! Call Rich if you need a hand...or leg...ha ha.
Your blog is too cute! I love your posts and I really liked the one with your inventions! You are very talented and a clever blogger!
Add that meatball tree to your inventions and you will be set for life! I'd love a meatball tree! Oh, poor Mike! These accident prone hubbys just want our attention, I know it!:)
Post a Comment