A couple of days ago I had lunch with Ellie at school. At the lunch table one of her little friends leaned over and said to Ellie, "Do you like Mason?" Ellie got so nervous and looked at me and said, "No!" I thought it was cute, but it also made me think that Ellie thought it was bad to like boys and that she thought she would get in trouble if she did. That night while I was tucking the girls into bed, I told them that it wasn't wrong to think boys are cute and nice. I told them it was normal and it was ok. Here are the reactions I got:
From Casie: " Mom, I don't like this conversation!" "Can we please end it now!?"...(although when I came right out and asked her is she liked someone she said "NO!", but I noticed her fingers were crossed)
From Annie: Of course she was quietly thoughtful for a few minutes, then she shyly told me that she thought Ian had a cute face. She also added that she mostly liked him because he was nice...(that's my girl!)
From Ellie: She was as giddy as if we had just told her that we were moving to a candy store! She immediately took advantage of her new found freedom and spouted off all the boys that she liked. She was literally bouncing and giggling with excitement! In the morning I found a list posted on her wall entitled, "My bofrens" There were five names on the list.
Like I said, WHAT HAVE I DONE???????
I have a feeling we are in some serious trouble with this one!!
8 comments:
From the moment my daughter was born, I dreaded the day she would start to like boys. But, I found that I did like you are doing, talking to them when they are little. You can help them see what qualities they like in boys and which they don't. Good job mom!!!
BTW, I agree, you are in trouble. Your girls are beautiful!
Are YOU guys in trouble...or are all the boys in first grade in trouble? I think I am more nervous to raise the "be nice and respectful to girls" boys!
That is so fun! That post made me laugh! What fun they are and how DIFFERENT they are! LOL!
She's way too cute! You ARE in trouble!!!
Uh-oh!!! :)
Ha! ;) Trouble, that's right!
uh-oh!
Post a Comment