Sunday, October 11, 2009

Sometimes I think I need to wait for something big, or cute, or funny to happen before I blog, but tonight I just wanted to share some thoughts I have had this week.

Yesterday Mike and I had the opportunity to attend a funeral for the mother of one of our friends. She was only 54 and had battled cancer for the last three years. I sadly didn't know her very well, but I was so impressed with her funeral service. SO many wonderful things were said and expressed. She really made an impression for good to so many people. I was so touched by the things her children said about her. She seemed to emulate what every mother should be to her kids. She left this world leaving no doubt in her families mind about her feelings for them. She served and played and loved to the fullest. I truly left the service feeling edified and with the desire to be a better person. Hearing about her life through her kids made me wonder how my kids would remember me when I leave this earth. After attending the funeral as well as remembering a few talks from conference, I am determined to tell my kids and loved ones that I love them more. I don't want to assume that they already know. I'm so grateful that I have good examples and inspiration around me.

4 comments:

highdeekay said...

Thanks for sharing your impressions and thoughts. I'm so glad that you were able to attend the funeral. Once again, I wish we were closer. We'll see you soon though! Thanks again for the thoughtful post.

richvm said...

Thank you for your sweet sentiments. And thank you for coming to the funeral- it really meant a lot to me! I am happy that my moms life and influence can continue to be an example after she has left this world! We are looking forward to this weekend!:)- Jenny

Layne said...

John and I were talking about it too, that we hope people would be able to say similar things about us. She was quite an example.

Marianne said...

Awesome Jill. You are an inspiration to all of us, especially me. Thanks.