Tuesday, October 6, 2009
A tender heart
Yesterday, while we were on our way to the store, Annie and I saw a homeless man at a freeway exit. It was snowing and he was holding a sign that said, "Hungry n Homeless." I don't think Annie ever realized that such a thing as "homelessness" could exist. She was astounded that anyone would be without a home and food and warm clothes. She asked me where he slept, and why he didn't have a house. With each question I could see her concern growing and growing. I gave her all the answers I could think of, and let the subject drop as we pulled up to the store. As we were shopping I noticed Annie was very quiet. I asked her what was wrong and all she said was, "I can't...I can't". Then I noticed she was crying! She said she couldn't stop thinking about the man on the freeway. She wanted to stop shopping,,(for HER school clothes) and go back and give him her money. All I could do was hug her. We talked about how it didn't feel right to be shopping while he was out there feeling cold and hungry. We also realized how blessed we felt to have a warm house to go home to. We decided to try and give more to those in need. I know it was a sad moment for her, but it was such a sweet moment for me. I loved seeing how tender and caring she is becoming. I love her so much!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
What a sweetheart. That has got to be a tough thing as a parent to explain. This world is kind of a big, bad, ugly place a lot of times and it is sad when kids start figuring that out. I guess the only thing you can do is help her find ways to help make the world a better place. (I feel a MJ song coming on...). ;)
That's sweet. It's so nice that she could think about somebody in need like that. You could always reminder her about the church's humanitarian work, and how tithing directly contributes. Or maybe taking some of the clothes she doesn't wear anymore to D.I. and talk about giving would help her. She does things for the less fortunate already, and maybe doesn't even know it. :)
Jill,
Hey on our windows. I got the idea from Family Fun. Measure your windows and cut cardboard to the exact measurements, so that it fits snug. Draw whatever you want your window to be, then use a razor blade to cut it out. Tape/glue tissue paper behind the cut outs. Put lamps behind and turn on and Voila'! Cute windows :)
What a sweet little girl. You sure have done a great job raising compassionate kids. What a great teaching moment.
That is a tough lesson to learn. I second what Marianne said. She can give to help those who are seeking help indirectly.
That absolutely melted my heart! What a sweet little girl to feel that way. I bet that was a wonderful experience for both of you. Sounds like one neither one of you will forget!!!
Post a Comment