Sunday, July 20, 2008

Parades and Pets

This Saturday we had our Primary parade. As we were getting ready, Ellie asked, " So is this parade for The Sound of Music, or for School house rock?" I guess she is getting used to the "parade circuit" she's been on lately. BTW School house rock is our next theatrical adventure. It's the cities children's play. They asked me to help direct months ago and I said yes (um, what was I thinking??)....this was all before I knew how tired I would be at this point! It will give Casie a chance to be on stage, so that's a plus. :-) Anyway, back to the parade.....The kids all dressed in Red, White, and Blue, and brought instruments to play. We had about 10 people watching, but it was still fun. The fire truck even showed up to escort us down the road. We ended up at the park where we were fed a nice pancake breakfast. Mike was at Scout camp so he missed all the excitement, but we had a good time. :-)
On the way home, the girls found a strange caterpillar. The texture feels just like human skin and it has two little spots on it's head that look like eyes. My research on-line told me that these, "pretend eyes" are to make the caterpillar look like a "big scary snake" so that birds wouldn't want to eat it. Do you ever wonder where this information comes from? How do they know that the caterpillar wants to look like a snake? How on earth did they extract that information from it's little brain? I'm thinking torture,... but it could also be a tiny lie detector test....Anyway, the caterpillar is now named"Pumpkin", and resides in a jar on Annie's dresser. We are all awaiting the transformation of our new pet.
I had to laugh as I watched the girls fight over who got to hold Pumpkin. They were all taking turns between Peaches( the hamster) and Pumpkin, (the caterpillar),.... and there sat BIG ol' Brandon (the dog) without a hand to pet him. Why must things be "tiny" to capture my daughters affection? :-)

7 comments:

Heidi P said...

You guys are always busy!? I bet you are tired. You have earned the right to be.
Funny about kids and bugs...Will and Maya caught 2 baby frogs last week. Maya killed one, and Will set his free, for a bribe. Poor little creatures that have to deal with kids 'loving' them too much.

Mindy said...

wow wouldnt it be nice to roam out doors at this time of year and find creatures...I do enjoy watching (from the saftey of my air conditioned house through my window) the little chipmunk that lives in our yard scammper about.

Mom M. said...

I have some "little" ants that need a new home..any takers?

Jenny said...

I'm just commenting here about your play because we came last night but didn't get to talk to you because Emma was asleep and the boys had to go potty. Great job to all of you though! So much time and work that your cute family put into it! What a fun family memory! We were so glad we could come! I couldn't even tell you were pregnant under your nun outfit...no fair. I feel gigantic! BTW we have no idea what we are naming our baby!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Came on over to get caught up with my Jill-bone, get my Jill-fix, but your page won't open all the way. I can't read anything but your blog titals and "comment". So, I'll just make up some whitty blog like you would write in my head then comment on this erroneous blog:

Jill,
Self check-outs really aren't that hard to figure out. Why is this so hard for you? Didn't you ever graduate from bagging back at the Quality Thrifway?

Maybe you should let Mike do the shopping.

Hope you are well.
J.

July 25, 2008 3:06 PM

Anonymous said...

Jill, I miss real life phone coversations with you! Has blogging taken that joy away?
I know you're busy - what with all your caterpillar research and all -but I do miss talking. Just tell me if I'm completely old fashioned.

Your blogs are great glimpses into your life and I'm delighted you're keeping up with so many people.

Your life deserves to be on-line.

Mom