Thursday, January 6, 2011

Popular

Since getting her barbies for Christmas, I have heard the word "Popular" thrown around in Ellie's play vocabulary.

 "This is a popular girl."

 "....let's say that all the popular girls come to the party..." 

Tonight I asked Ellie what she thought that popular meant.  She said, "Being really pretty and bossing people around."

I had to explain that being popular was being very nice and kind to those around you. 

Later when Annie came home from her friends house, I asked her the same question.  Her response was, "Wearing really cute clothes and being the cutest girl in the school"

 Me: No Annie, being popular means that you are a very nice person and you treat others kindly.
Annie: Really?  Did you look that up on-line? 

5 comments:

Sherron said...

"Did you look that up online?" That is hilarious! Now I am itching to find out what my boys thing popular means. This could be interesting!

Layne said...

Good luck with that. I think an instructional viewing of "Mean Girls" is in your future.

Shafferprincess said...

That's too funny! Makes me wonder what my boys think popular means. I think I'll have to ask them.

Mindy said...

They are learning the facts of life. I wish I could stop that moment when kids realize what popular means...it's only downhill from there.

Anonymous said...

We go round and round with this one too, daily it seems. Did I really spend an hour on my hair in the morning when I was 12? Seriously.. And honestly isn't being popular mostly about kissing the cutest guys? When your 16 of course. :o)
Kimberly B.