Monday, January 26, 2015

FHE Service

While praying for guideance concerning my family, and what lesson they most need in their lives right now, I was prompted..(in the shower, because that is where most of inspiration comes...I think it's because I am in my most humble state..ha ha ha TMI? Sorry for the visual...lol) ANYWAY, I felt that my family could use a lesson on service.

Here's what we are doing for FHE tonight.

After Jack welcomes us...(Jack ALWAYS, much to Ellie's dismay, gets to conduct. I think it's a youngest child thing) And after we have an opening song and prayer..(although my kids are super musical they are turds when it comes to the opening song of FHE! They think it's fun to sing strange eastern harmonies, or insert potty words, or add vocal percussion..(Mike).  I am working on being fine with all these things.  Maybe, for my benefit we will sing "Let it Go" for our opening song.  It wouldn't be the strangest song we've ever sung prior to FHE.  Once we sang the saxophone solo of George Michaels' "I'm never gonna dance again".  Anyway, I digress...after welcome, song, and prayer we are going to read this article on service.
https://www.lds.org/youth/article/youth-spotlight-finding-ways-to-serve?lang=eng

It's geared toward teens and it's simple and engaging.  Easy for them to understand.

Hopefully by the end of the article they will be pumped up and excited about things they can do to serve others.  I love how service truly makes you forget yourself.  The most fulfilling and joyous moments of my life have come from serving others.  I pray that my kids will come to find that joy too.

I want them to also understand that the most important service you can give are to those in your own family.  What a great way to strengthen the love within your family.  So that leads us to our activity.

I am going to pass out slips of paper to each member of the family.  I will ask them to write down the things in their lives that they need help with, or that stress them out, or that cause them concern.  For each different concern, they will use a separate slip of paper.  I will make sure they write their name on it as well.  Once we are done, we will put the papers in a jar.  (I am big on jars full of paper.  It seems like such a simple way to remind me to do things.  I put all the jobs I need to accomplish around the house in a jar and choose one a day.  I tell myself that I will do that job no matter what.  It's great because I always feel like I have accomplished something that day. I also like how I don't have to have the burden of feeling overwhelmed with everything that needs to be done. One big job a day is doable for me. Small baby steps...) Whoa...back to FHE

Once all my families burdens are in a jar, we will choose one of them out.  Whatever is on the paper, we will work as a family to ease that burden.  For example, my closet is a bit out of control. If the family chose that, we would all go and work on it together..(many hands make light work)  If we chose a paper saying that Casie is stressed about school, we would focus on ways we can help her get things done.  For example, we could take over her after dinner job for a while so she could catch up,...the point is, we will focus on individuals and show them that as a family we can, and will help them in anyway we can.

We won't have time to go through the whole jar in one evening, but I am hoping as the jar sits out on the table, family members will choose a paper periodically and take the chance to strengthen their love for their families through service.

In my perfect world, this is a situation that would happen....

Child: Mom, I'm bored
Me: (while kneading bread....I'm always kneading bread in my perfect world...)  Well, darling, have you thought to check the service jar?
Child:  Gee Mom, what a great idea!!

Child runs and checks the jar and is later found making the bed of a sibling, or leaving a sweet note of encouragement.
Then child comes back to me and we chat about what a great Mom I am while eating hot homemade bread.



No comments: