It's official. I should just buy a t-shirt now. I can join the millions who say. I LOVE NEW YORK. Wow, what an amazing city. All I heard about it was true. But let me back up....
Ever since I was a child I have had dreams...no, night mares about New York City. Let us keep in mind I grew up in Delta Utah. Population (including the jack rabbits) around 30,000. Salt Lake City was always known in my mind as "The big City".
Even into my adult years I would dream about being lost, mugged, and lost again in NYC.
Right before Christmas Mike told me he would be taking a business trip to New York and I asked if I could come along. And listen to this all you Delta-ites and all you nightmares....I went! AND...(read this next part like a proud new potty trainee).. I went ALL -BY- MYSELF. (Mike flew out Tues for business and I joined him on Thurs.) I took a cab from the airport to the hotel and met Mike there. Seriously, it is a trip I will never forget. I loved every minute of it. We had some grand adventures like going to the Statue of Liberty on a day when icy wind gusts got up to 45 mph. We were so cold we could only look at each other and laugh.
We also went to two Broadway shows. Spiderman and the Lion King. Both were simply amazing.
We went to the 9-11 memorial fountains. There truly was a feeling that we were walking on hallowed ground. It was surreal to see images and be in the place were the two towers fell. I was really glad we were able to see it and pay our respects to those who perished in the terrorist attacks.
One of the main things I took away from my trip is how small and insignificant I am. Wow, there are a lot of people in the world! What a vast and diverse human race. That was one of my favorite parts about my trip. The people. I was super impressed with all the kindness we saw while we were there. I saw so many small acts of kindness. It seemed like people really were looking out for each other....oh, and on a not so kind note, I was really hoping I would have an opportunity to almost get hit by a car and so I could pound on their hood and yell, "HEY!....I'm walkin' here!" I would have felt very New Yorky if I could have done that.
I am glad to be home. It's always hard to be away from my kids. Rich and Melissa babysat for us. (the dears) Jack was only two weeks sober..(from his binky) and didn't have great nights.
I have heard that one vacation together a year is better for your marriage than a date night every week. I actually think I believe that! I had such a great time with Mike. He isn't a timid traveler and I love that. I think he was born to figure out public transportation. So,...Thanks Mike, for making none of my dreams come true. :-)
PS I know this post should be FULL of pictures from our trip. Shame on me! But here's the thing, Mike wanted to make a Spinners Documentary about our trip...(which is a whole different post about our adventures with the video camera...here are a few possible post titles about those adventures. "New Yorkers wonder why the strange couple is filming themselves (with tri-pod) while eating." or.."Woman freezes to death while husband gets multiple camera shots of Rockefeller. " Anyway, our trip is WELL documented visually with video, but not so much with pictures. :-(
Ever since I was a child I have had dreams...no, night mares about New York City. Let us keep in mind I grew up in Delta Utah. Population (including the jack rabbits) around 30,000. Salt Lake City was always known in my mind as "The big City".
Even into my adult years I would dream about being lost, mugged, and lost again in NYC.
Right before Christmas Mike told me he would be taking a business trip to New York and I asked if I could come along. And listen to this all you Delta-ites and all you nightmares....I went! AND...(read this next part like a proud new potty trainee).. I went ALL -BY- MYSELF. (Mike flew out Tues for business and I joined him on Thurs.) I took a cab from the airport to the hotel and met Mike there. Seriously, it is a trip I will never forget. I loved every minute of it. We had some grand adventures like going to the Statue of Liberty on a day when icy wind gusts got up to 45 mph. We were so cold we could only look at each other and laugh.
We also went to two Broadway shows. Spiderman and the Lion King. Both were simply amazing.
We went to the 9-11 memorial fountains. There truly was a feeling that we were walking on hallowed ground. It was surreal to see images and be in the place were the two towers fell. I was really glad we were able to see it and pay our respects to those who perished in the terrorist attacks.
One of the main things I took away from my trip is how small and insignificant I am. Wow, there are a lot of people in the world! What a vast and diverse human race. That was one of my favorite parts about my trip. The people. I was super impressed with all the kindness we saw while we were there. I saw so many small acts of kindness. It seemed like people really were looking out for each other....oh, and on a not so kind note, I was really hoping I would have an opportunity to almost get hit by a car and so I could pound on their hood and yell, "HEY!....I'm walkin' here!" I would have felt very New Yorky if I could have done that.
I am glad to be home. It's always hard to be away from my kids. Rich and Melissa babysat for us. (the dears) Jack was only two weeks sober..(from his binky) and didn't have great nights.
I have heard that one vacation together a year is better for your marriage than a date night every week. I actually think I believe that! I had such a great time with Mike. He isn't a timid traveler and I love that. I think he was born to figure out public transportation. So,...Thanks Mike, for making none of my dreams come true. :-)
PS I know this post should be FULL of pictures from our trip. Shame on me! But here's the thing, Mike wanted to make a Spinners Documentary about our trip...(which is a whole different post about our adventures with the video camera...here are a few possible post titles about those adventures. "New Yorkers wonder why the strange couple is filming themselves (with tri-pod) while eating." or.."Woman freezes to death while husband gets multiple camera shots of Rockefeller. " Anyway, our trip is WELL documented visually with video, but not so much with pictures. :-(

5 comments:
I can't wait to see the video then! I would really like to visit there one day too. It sounds like a city full of amazing experiences!
How superb! We saw Lion King in Vegas over thanksgiving... that opening number almost brought me to tears.. powerful. Spiderman looks incredible, it seemed to go through a lot of stress getting together, so glad to hear it is good!
So fun! I would love to go to New York someday. And you are such a big girl- going all by yourself! I'm so proud of you! Glad you guys had a fun time! We could definitely use a getaway! btw- Kate still has her binky. You'll have to let me know how you did it! :)
So happy you survived. Can't wait for spinners!
I'm so glad you loved it! Just don't get any more ideas about moving back there... :)
Post a Comment