Monday, August 29, 2011

My next party

It's decided, I am going to throw a "Jane Austen" party.  Now, I know we won't be able to dress like them, or do our hair like them, (although that would be awesome), but what if we just did what they did?  I know it is very un-educated of me, but I am going to base all my thoughts and dreams solely off the novels...(ha..I could have said the movies, but I am edjukated)  I don't have all the details worked out, but here is what I am thinking.

Everyone has to come prepared to share a small talent.  Be it a poem, a song on the piano forte, a dramatic limerick, or perhaps even a small witty comment.  At some point in the evening, (most likely between the 5 coarse meal and the time when the men will be excused to have a drink and smoke cigars) we will withdraw to the drawing room family room.  Although there may be a small card game occurring in the corner, the majority of us will fan ourselves and respectfully listen to each performer.  Of coarse at some point someone will say, "Mrs. Bearden...please, won't you grace us with a song."  Then I will shyly say,...(in an English accent).."Oh, no..I couldn't possibly"  After some chiding, and a command from one of the more powerful intimidating woman in the room, (ooo..remind me to invite someone like that)  I will finally agree.  As I began to play and sing, a tall, dark and handsome man will get lost in his thoughts of love for me.  Then he will smile and remember that I am his wife and think he is the luckiest person in London  Riverton.

BTW I am assuming that during all this time the children are in the nursery being seen but not heard.

Ok, then comes the dancing.  Somehow, we will all know these intricate line dances...(not country line dances).  We will weave in and out.  We will all smile at each other and carry on witty little conversations all the while.   Although if we do these dances, I might have us change into dresses.   I just can't imagine us gracefully gliding across the floor in our Capris.  I guess that is a detail to be worked out at a later time.

If the hour grows too late, or if someone feels a chill coming on, or if the weather is poor, guests will sleep the night.  We will all wake up the next morning to a beautiful breakfast...(prepared by my servants)..then we will spend the day strolling by the lake...(I guess we could drive up to Day Break) having picnics, and playing silly games.

Finally we will say our fond good byes and promise to see each other again in a Fortnight.


So...who is in?

PS  I guarantee that if Mike reads this post, he will fall asleep half way through it.


16 comments:

Marianne said...

Have you read "Austenland"? Sounds exactly like that. Maybe you can base your party on the book! :)

Melissa B said...

IN! However, I implore you, please, we must take a turn down the lane for refreshment at Maverick. I've never read Jane Austen, but love the movies ;)

Layne said...

I'm in! But I think we should wear authentic attire.

Jenny said...

For sure we're in. We already know all the dances.

Sarah R. said...

I'm in. I want to be the powerful woman who will intimidate people into sharing their talents.

Mom M. said...

I will be one of the servants and cook breakfast

Sherron said...

That would be fun!
I have often thought that the parties would have been more enjoyable with central air conditioning. Seriously could you imagine how hot it would have been with all of the people, the candles, fireplace, and the layer upon layers of clothes?

Sarah R. said...

I meant to say, "their accomplishments."

Mindy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mindy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
highdeekay said...

You are too fun.

I'll be the wallflower-friend who needs you as her benefactoress and you can introduce me into society.

Mindy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mindy said...

http://www.youtube.com/user/BYUDivineComedy
#p/u/54/p5VEcGbbw_A
This link wont all fit but
its what could happen at your
party.

Emily West said...

Sounds exquisite. Do let me know the date so I may calendar the event and have my maid launder my best dancing gown…then I’ll book a flight to SLC and totally be there!

jana said...

And I will come as an 11yo boy who recently realized that he is a wizard and must battle dark forces for 7 years to fulfill a prophecy to save his wizarding world from one who must not be named, formerly known as Prince. Oh wait that's another series of books. Sorry. : ) Have Fun!

Shafferprincess said...

Love it!