Back when I was a good Mom, I used to tell my girls made up stories every night. The stories usually had Princesses named Annie and Ellie who always wore the latest fashions and had spectacular birthday parties. Tonight Annie said those magical words that gave me no choice but to resurrect our old tradition:
"Mom, you never tell us stories anymore"
So,in my attempt to be a better Mom, I told them this story.....
Once upon a time, there were two beautiful princesses...(they both rolled their eyes at me. They thought they were far too old to be caught up in this old story.) Princess Annie wore a beautiful ball gown with sparkly silver shoes. Princess Ellie wore a Pink Dress with purple shoes. (At this point I could tell they were listening just to humor me. I decided to bring out the big guns) Each of the princesses had their very own AMAZING room.
I then proceeded to describe each of their rooms in detail. Since I know all the things they love, it was easy to suck them into the story. Princess Annie had several buttons on her wall. One of them, when pushed, would raise an amazing art desk from a hole in the floor. It had every art medium known to man. It also played classical music so Princess Annie could draw for hours and hours while enjoying Mozart. We got a laugh out of another button on the wall that would immediately transport her two best friends, Luke and James into her room when ever she wanted to play with them.
Princess Ellie had a huge soft bed with tons of pillows. She also had eight sets of bunk beds in her room so that ALL her friends could sleep over EVERY NIGHT! Her wall buttons transformed her room into a Dance club complete with flashing lights.
Of course both rooms had drinking fountains that distributed soda, or at the push of a button, chocolate milk.
It was hilarious to see both of my daughters eyes fill with wonder as I added new features to their rooms. I need to tell them stories more often.
Oh, in my desire to be a better Mom, I tried to create a beautiful teaching moment and life lesson into our fairy tale. It didn't really go as well as it could have.
One day, the beautiful Queen beckoned her fair daughters to her chambers.
"Fair daughters, I am sorry to tell you that the time has come to leave our beautiful rooms. The King has asked the royal family to go live amongst the poor people of the kingdom."..(smiles dropping...eyes loosing lustre...disappointment setting in...) Then the Queen laughed and said, just kidding. We are actually going to have a party! The end.
"Mom, you never tell us stories anymore"
So,in my attempt to be a better Mom, I told them this story.....
Once upon a time, there were two beautiful princesses...(they both rolled their eyes at me. They thought they were far too old to be caught up in this old story.) Princess Annie wore a beautiful ball gown with sparkly silver shoes. Princess Ellie wore a Pink Dress with purple shoes. (At this point I could tell they were listening just to humor me. I decided to bring out the big guns) Each of the princesses had their very own AMAZING room.
I then proceeded to describe each of their rooms in detail. Since I know all the things they love, it was easy to suck them into the story. Princess Annie had several buttons on her wall. One of them, when pushed, would raise an amazing art desk from a hole in the floor. It had every art medium known to man. It also played classical music so Princess Annie could draw for hours and hours while enjoying Mozart. We got a laugh out of another button on the wall that would immediately transport her two best friends, Luke and James into her room when ever she wanted to play with them.
Princess Ellie had a huge soft bed with tons of pillows. She also had eight sets of bunk beds in her room so that ALL her friends could sleep over EVERY NIGHT! Her wall buttons transformed her room into a Dance club complete with flashing lights.
Of course both rooms had drinking fountains that distributed soda, or at the push of a button, chocolate milk.
It was hilarious to see both of my daughters eyes fill with wonder as I added new features to their rooms. I need to tell them stories more often.
Oh, in my desire to be a better Mom, I tried to create a beautiful teaching moment and life lesson into our fairy tale. It didn't really go as well as it could have.
One day, the beautiful Queen beckoned her fair daughters to her chambers.
"Fair daughters, I am sorry to tell you that the time has come to leave our beautiful rooms. The King has asked the royal family to go live amongst the poor people of the kingdom."..(smiles dropping...eyes loosing lustre...disappointment setting in...) Then the Queen laughed and said, just kidding. We are actually going to have a party! The end.
3 comments:
fairy tails are fun! That was a good one :)
That's so cute! I can just imagine Annie and Ellie really wishing that they had rooms like that.. :) That's a great story!
Great story. We watch extreme home make over and my kids always talk about wanting to move to a trashy house and then have Ty come and make it over. They tell me all their hopes and dreams for an extreme room and then I add that for that to happen one of us would probably have to have a rare sickness as well and he would probably never come and we would just end up sick and in a trashy house!
Post a Comment