Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Adventures in Potty Training

Two nights ago, Jack and I decided it was time to do some potty training.  I started the night by telling him a story about a boy named Jack who was getting potty trained....(ya stories are becoming a nightly ritual..again)  The story must have been very inspiring because at the end Jack exclaimed, "I want to get potty trained TOMORROW!" Sweet!
 In the morning when I asked Jack if he was ready for some potty training, he laughed and said, "Mom..I said tomorrow!"  He wasn't totally convinced that he was ready for training until I came home with some mini peanut butter cups.  It was so funny when he was begging for a treat.  I kept telling him he had to go pee pee before he could have one.  At first he started to throw a fit, then he slunk his shoulders rolled his eyes and said, "Fine...I'll go potty"  Then he slowly shuffled off with his little feet dragging like it was such a big chore.  Funny boy.
Jack has gone potty sporadically for several months so getting him to go wasn't hard.  Once he realized he got candy every time he went, he started sitting on the toilet non-stop.  Today, (right after he went) he wanted to go again.  I told him maybe if he drank some Kool-aide he might need to go again soon.  I gave him the glass, he took one swallow, then he waited for two seconds in silence before saying.."Ok, it's in me now".  Then he ran off to the potty.  I have been laughing my head off all day.  He is so determined to drink Kool-aide, go potty, and have candy.  It's hilarious.  My favorite line came right before he pooped in the potty. (BTW, sorry for all the potty words)  As he was sitting there he was giving me instructions on what to say after he was finished.  In a high pitched voice I was instructed that once he was done I was to say, "Jack! That's wonderful!"  I did say it.  Because it is wonderful!!!


6 comments:

Mindy said...

He is one funny boy!

Shelley said...

He cracks me up! At least he is determined to get this down. By the way - am I continuing potty training when I watch him tonight? Not sure I'm ready to do that again at my house. ;)

Crystal said...

What a funny boy! He is such a cutie! He must get that from his momma.

Heather said...

Wow, he sounds like an easy kid to potty train! I'm glad he keeps you laughing- I would, too. :)

Anonymous said...

Jill these potty stories are priceless! Such personality in Jack. He's a hoot. I helped him once at Zions, not knowing I needed to come up with a treat.

Mom

Anonymous said...

Jill, what a treasure you are. Do you remember the story of when I was potty training Amy? I bought a long string of little suckers connected in cellophane hanging on the back of the bathroom door. The message was evident: you're successful in the bathroom, you get to take one. Amy was waiting her turn in the bathroom when she heard the unmistakable sound of cellophane crinkling. "Mom! Daddy's eating my stinky chart!"
(We said words like that instead of poop and pee)
Mom