Sunday, April 17, 2011

Deep thoughts from Annie

Annie is infamous for coming up with random questions. Well, they only seem random because most of Annie's thoughts occur in hours of silent contemplation.  Only a  few tidbits that she couldn't make sense of, or that particularly vex her, make their way to vocalization.  (Unlike Ellie who's every thought is rattling out of her mouth the milli-second her brain concocts them.)  Annie is a deep thinker.  This is what she asked me a couple of days ago.

"Mom, does Airborne mean that your were born in an airplane?" 

She was very sincere and wasn't trying to be cute.  I loved it.  Annie's deep and detailed thinking has however, turned out to be a bad thing on some occasions.   In my family we have a favorite childhood story about my brother Ben who is also well known for his deep thoughts.  Once when my Dad was out of town, my Mom had put her young children to bed and decided to take a bath.  While sitting there soaking, she heard the faint sounds of crying.  As the crying drew closer and closer she couldn't help but panic wondering if the child was sick, or even worse, that the child was scared because someone was in the house....(all us wives have these thoughts when our husbands are out of town).  Finally the crying was outside the bathroom door and she recognized it as Ben.
  "Ben,...what's the matter?"
"sniff...sniff....I was just thinking about Space."

We always laugh at that story.  A couple of nights ago we had a very similar experience with Annie.

I was asleep when I heard Annie sniffling by my bedside. 
"Annie,.... what's the matter?"
"sniff...sniff....I've just been thinking about abandon mines"

Apparently her class had been learning about abandon mines in school.  They even made posters entitled, "Stay out.  Stay alive!"  They were shown a video about some kids who decided to play in an abandon mine that resulted in their untimely demise.  Poor Annie.  I assured her that is was her choice whether or not she would EVER enter an abandon mine. 

On the happy side, Annie's poster was one of two chosen in the whole school to go onto the State competition.  If her poster is chosen there, it will be featured in the "Stay out, Stay Alive" calendar.   




3 comments:

lissa said...

Ooohh Annie :) We miss you all...are you in town for Easter? BBQ/dinner on Sunday?

Anonymous said...

I remember the bathtub and Ben's crying so vividly. Here's MY side of that story. Ben's voice was so dramatic that I was certain something terrible was happening. Without opening the door, I felt my voice go about four octives lower than usual as I went into complete panic. I could barely speak. I've always counted that as the way I would react if something dreadful happened.


Mom

Mom M. said...

Way to go ANNIE!