Friday, August 23, 2013

Falling off the potty train.

Jack will go down in history as the hardest Bearden child to potty train.  Casie will take a close second, Ellie third and Annie wins the easiest by FAR!

I love that little boy of mine SO stinking much, but I was mean to Jack yesterday.  I don't really want to record it, because it wasn't my finest parenting moment, and quite honestly I want him to forget it ever happened, but what he said was so cute I wanted to write it down.  After peeing his pants for the third time I put him fully clothed in the shower to wash off.  I didn't do freezing water, but it wasn't fun for him.  He was crying and I was almost crying too...(it's been almost 3 YEARS of trying to potty train him people!).  After turning off the water, I told him to stand in the shower while I went to get a towel.  As I was coming back I heard Jack say, "She went too far this time....Mom went too far."  My heart melted and I scooped up my little drowned rat and apologized for losing my temper.  I hate when I react  
negatively in situations when I know it's just making it worse.  I honestly am at a loss though.  I am not sure how to get him to use the potty!  I have gone through positive rewards (like treats and toys) to negative consequences ( like losing his scooter, oh, and add fully clothed shower to the list).  It's such a good thing that I am so head over hills in love with him.   It's also good that he loves me too and is quick to forgive my short comings.


One cute thing he said about potty training once was, " Mom, it would be so much easier if I could earn  prizes for peeing my pants."


3 comments:

Mom M. said...

He has an uncle who was really hard, too...and I think a Texan cousin. I tell you what...you come and get rid of my gophers and I'll work with Jack....such are the trials of life. God gave you this one because he knew you could handle it....this, too shall pass. ( have you had him checked just to see if there are any "internal" problems) Boys are always harder than girls to potty train. Love you.

Jenni said...

Oh you poor thing! That's so hard! If it makes you feel any better, I buy Depends on a regular basis for my 7 year old MOOSE who still has accidents almost every night. I just have to keep reminding myself that full grown men don't have accidents (that I know of ;)) so they are bound to catch on at some point. Potty training just plain sucks-sorry for the potty word but it seemed fitting for this conversation. Good luck!!! ;)

Sister Taylynne North said...

I have always said they should come with a switch. I don't care if I have to wait until they are 6 to turn that switch but once I flip it there should be NO accidents EVER.