Monday, February 21, 2011

FHE Feb 21 Top Secret Service

After getting home from a wonderful vacation in CA, (pictures and details might show up on the blog eventually, but we got tons of footage and are turning it into a documentary for the Spinners film festival so I won't feel too bad if I don't post about it here.)  We are settled back in and had a great family night tonight.  First we did a little "ropes coarse" type game.  Mike and I played this game as part of a unity building activity in an Improv troop we are in..(pictures and details may show up on this blog as well.)  I folded a blanket to be the size of a 2X4, (in the other game we used a real board) and then the whole family stood on it.  The object was to get the first and the last person to trade places with out falling off the blanket.  If anyone touched the carpet we had to start all over.  It required everyone to help each other by catching them if they were about fall, or holding their hand as they passed by.  It took us a while, but we finally accomplished our goal.  Then (surprise surprise) we had a lesson on family unity.  We talked about helping each other out in different situations.  For example if someone in your family is searching for a lost item, it would be nice if everyone helped out.  Or if someone was acting grumpy, you could do things to cheer them up.  We talked about how a family is a team and we all need to work together to make our home happy.  I started trying to make a sports analogy, but ended up laughing because we are so not sports people so it wasn't really sinking in.  We then each looked up a scripture on service and read about how we can find happiness in serving one another and also how serving our family is like serving Heavenly Father. 

After our lesson, we began our top secret activity we had been planning.  This morning I gathered the girls and told them we were going to have a Daddy Appreciation night.  Mike had worked so hard planning our vacation.  He printed maps, shopped for food, cooked the food, drove the WHOLE time, and of course, worked so hard so that we could pay for our trip.  We told him to go take a shower, (because he was all sweaty from playing basket ball) and we set up a spa for him.  We lit candles, turned on relaxing music, filled up the foot bath and got some lotion to rub his feet with.  Then the girls pampered him.  One was brushing his hair, one was rubbing his feet, and one was massaging his back.  I went down and made some cookies with Jack.  We also made him a card that we all told him how much we loved and appreciate him.  The girls loved it, and I am pretty sure Mike did too! 

6 comments:

Shelley said...

Where are the pictures of your spa? That is so great. Thanks for posting your good ideas so we can all benefit from them. (And thanks again for cutting my hair today...I love it!) :)

Melissa B said...

Fun! I like the unity part. Could you arrange a "Aunt Melissa" Appreciation night, too :)

Brett and Tiffany said...

Great idea! We are going to have to use it!

Shafferprincess said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I love this idea, and am going to use it on Monday night. :)

Mom M. said...

....ummm....a grandma appreciation night sounds like a great FHE :-)

Suzi said...

Renew your Faith day spa! You forgot the cucumbers on his eyelids and the bike pump to make bubbles in the water! LOL. You are such a great mom and wife!